Ken Hirai Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW Album "FAKIN' POP" (March 12th OUT!)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

I think I'll just review the new song here ^^

Pain - 8/10
This song's good, but somehow I am a bit surprised at the change from intro to chorus. Just not so fit I think. But overall, this song is nice (especially the chorus, just love it so much), wonder about the meaning so much (why he can't escape from the pain). Is there anyone here would like to translate it?

UPSET - 7.5/10
This song is funny ^^, however...not really my type.

Twenty! Twenty! Twenty! - 9/10
This song's cool! I love its style!

Itsuka Hanareru Hi ga Kite mo - 10/10
I can't help to play this song again and again at campus (both in class, labs, and spare time between it). This song is indeed Su.Te.Ki! The chorus is so beautiful, especially the last chorus.

Shasin - 10/10
I never know if this song is dedicated for his father. Shasin is indeed calm, and make me think if Ken was crying at the end of it (since the "umi no youni hiroku te, sora no youni tooku te, anata no ko de yokatta to.....").

For the album itself, I give 10/10! This album's awesome in its own way. Really a must have album!!!

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ChangHQ?ref=profile

Hey~ i would love to read ur review, but somehow when i go onto ur blog with my internet browser, the videos on the side would pop up and cover up the writing. I dont know if anyone else have this problem, but it would be fantastic if you could post it here because I really want to read people's opinion. That would be fantastic~!!!

Thanks~!

View user profile
can do chanman but I have to warn you it's gonna be a long one & I think it might be your internet browser cos I didn't have any problem/s viewing my blog just now .

but anyhoo , here it's which I wrote it yesterday :

"fakin' pop is Ken Hirai's 7th studio album . It's released today in Japan & fakin' pop is Ken's 1st studio offering since 2004's SENTIMENTALovers .

Prior to the release of fakin' pop , 6 singles were released in which 1 of them is a double A side single , a 1st for Ken in his 13th year in the music business .

In Ken's brand new album , there're 5 new songs . I say 5 because I do not count Utsukushii Hito (Beautiful One) in the pic as it's the B side of Ken's 26th Single , Kimi no Suki na Toko (The Place You Like) .

The album kick things off with Ken's 4th no.1 single POP STAR & I'm so happy that Ken has decided to include POP STAR & let it have the honour to start things off as that's 1 of my faves from him , be it song & PV .

POP STAR was included in Ken's Utabaka best album so if you didn't bought his best album then consider yourself lucky that POP STAR's in the album !

Track 2's 1/2 of Ken's 1st double A side / 28th single , Kimi wa Su.te.ki♡ (You're Won.der.ful) . It's a song that you will either like or don't like on 1st listen as it sounds like nothing that Ken would have done in his previous works .

For me I find Kimi wa Su.te.ki♡ (You're Won.der.ful) quite cheesy when I 1st heard it especially since he took his vocals to a higher level like iterally but now I like it . It's unique & the part where Ken went 'down down down down , fat' makes me & my younger sister laughed .

After 2 upbeat songs , Ken decided to slow things down by a bit in the form of his 26th single Kimi no Suki na Toko (The Place You Like) . I always like Kimi no Suki na Toko (The Place You Like) the very 1st time you heard it & like I said before , whenever Ken performs this live during performances , he's always in happy spirits & it's a cheery upbeat song which I dig .

Canvas's the other 1/2 of his 28th single . Prior to Canvas , the only song that my younger sister liked from Ken was his 20th single's Hitomi wo Tojite but after she watched the Honey & Clover drama , she went nuts over it because Canvas was used as the insert & ending song to Honey & Clover .

I 1st heard the live version of Canvas in Ken's Bar 2007 Winter & it's a pleasant nice piano ballad from Ken . The piano version is even better because it presents a more stripped down vibe which's great .

Track 5's a new song in the album titled Pain . The opening sounds like Bye My Melody part 2 due to the melody that's going on which's a bit odd as with a song title like Pain , I would be expecting a ballad & in a way I was 1/2 correct .

Pain started out a bit shaky but then as the song flows , it slowly starts to take form & ends on a beautiful note . The last part where Ken went 'I can never escape this pain' is woah .

After 3 mid tempo & ballad songs , the pace is picked up at the mid point of fakin' pop in the form of Ken's 27th single fake star . fake star is the dark alter ego of POP STAR & I suspect due to both song titles , it kinda inspired the album title . You know fakin' pop ?

Anyway , I know fake star wasn't well received when it was 1st released as at this point in time , it's Ken's worst selling single . It even sold less than his debut single Precious Junk .

I don't know what led to the low physical single sales of fake star but I suspect it's due to the naughty raunchy PV which was shot in Prague in the Czech Republic & I dug up some info regarding details to the fake star PV & what I found out was quite er eew .

If you watched the PV of fake star , you would have noticed Ken was making out with 2hot chicks (not at the same time unfortunately haha) & if I never know about this bit of info , I would have assumed that the ladies were probably a few years younger than Ken but surprised surprised , they were 1/2 his age :S which shocked me cos they sure do look mature . Either that or it's probably the makeup so that 1st part turns me out , PV wise .

& 2nd , for some stupid lame reason/s altogether , 1 of the girls who made out with Ken in the PV , brought her boyfriend along & he was at the set when all the raunchy sex scenes were shot in which it's possibly 1 of the dumbest things that she or a person would do & it doesn't help matters that the boyfriend was more taller & muscular than Ken in which I think he might have pounded & beat Ken up in a pulp .

The reasons why I know all of these is because Ken mentioned details of the fake star PV in an interview with MUSIC STATION , prior to the performance of the song last Sept . Maybe because of these 2 reasons , somehow the sex scenes in the PV doesn't looked er naturally to me & not to mention shocked people .

BUT my point is regardless of the PV or not , I adore fake star even though the singles sales were poor . The melody's super catchy , I love the hooks of the melody which's going on in there & to me , the Pv of fake star's nothing . You should watch the PV of Strawberry Sex , it's even up there but somehow the humor factor's sorta dampens the sex factor in the video . Strawberry Sex cracks me up like seriously .

& the ~Ken's swingin' jazz~ version of fake star which's found on the fake star single's gorgeous & so smooth . Not to mention , the single cover of fake star's 1 of the hottest Ken covers out there , be it albums or singles wise .

Ok enough of fake star , time to move onto the 2nd new track of the album . With a song title like UPSET , you might be expecting another ballad but you'll be surprised it's nothing like what you imagined & yes it's an upbeat no. & I think it's great that prior to UPSET , fake star was there to set the mood .

UPSET's hot . I 1st heard a snippet of it on Ken's official site & I was psyched to hear the full version of UPSET & that didn't disappoint me . It's super groovy , sexy & I adore the saxaphone in the background which's great .

UPSET is used in the CM for the new LG L705iX mobile phone for NTT Docomo .

The mood has now changed to a slower pace & what better way to start with Utsukushii Hito (Beautiful One) which's the B side of Kimi no Suki na Toko (The Place You Like) . I was surprised that Ken has decided to include Utsukushii Hito (Beautiful One) in the mix as I didn't expect this coming from him but regardless of which , I love Utsukushii Hito (Beautiful One) as it's a piano driven ballad which I adore .

Track 9's Ken's 25th single Elegy (Aika) & this's 1 of Ken's most serious & amazing works to date . The song was written from the perspective of a woman & it's easy to see or should I say hear why Elegy (Aika) is deemed 1 of Ken's finest songs to date .

Could tell that Ken put a lot of his heart & soul into the song which's great .

Soon after , the mood is changed in Twenty ! Twenty ! Twenty ! . I have heard Twenty ! Twenty ! Twenty ! prior to the release of fakin' pop & I'm glad to see it being included in the album as it's such a catchy song .

Bye My Melody's up next & this's Ken's 24th single . Bye My Melody's 1 of Ken's poppier songs to date . Not that it's a bad thing but it's good to see Ken venture outta his music comfort zone .

The last 2 songs on the album are 2 ballads . Itsuka Hanareru Hi ga Kite mo (If Some Day a Day Comes Where I'm Separated from You) is track 11 & this rather complicated sounding song is the longest track on the album , clocking in at about 6:35 mins !

Itsuka Hanareru Hi ga Kite mo (If Some Day a Day Comes Where I'm Separated from You) is a nice piano ballad , reminded me of Ken's previous piano driven ballads but I thought it's a bit too long for my liking but other than that , no further complaints coming from me .

I think it's a great way to close the album with Shashin (Photo) & I think it's the best track on the album for a non single simply because from the start to the end , Shashin kept me occupied with its great melody & the melody to which the song closes , it ended in a very dramatic note which sent goosebumps on my spine .

Shashin reminded me of the B side of POP STAR aka Tameiki Kippu (Sigh Ticket) & the same thing happened regarding Sentimental which incidentally is a great ballad which closed off Ken's last album SENTIMENTALovers with a fantastic note altogether .

& it's said that Shashin was written for Ken's dad who unfortunately passed away in Nov '04 due to cancer so bless the both of them .

fakin' pop is a great album & despite the fact that almost 1/2 the album was released before fakin' pop was announced , I honestly enjoyed fakin' pop right from the start to the end .

The sound consistency is there & I like the fact that Ken switched the mood vibe of the album from up tempo to ballad within a 2-3 songs interval & the remaining 5 new songs were the missing pieces to complete the jigsaw puzzle of fakin' pop .

fakin' pop deserves my vote to be 1 of the top albums for '08 . Here's to more great material from Ken Hirai in the near future ! "

Sorry it's VERY long but when comes to album reviews that I do , that's usually the case .

Karen

Last edited by minlilin on 13.03.08 10:56; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://www.karenpang.blogspot.com
Uhm, minlilin....actually I have the same problem like chanman. The video is blocking the review (and I am using firefox as my browser). And about your review, it's very good ^^

Lucas Faith wrote:Uhm, minlilin....actually I have the same problem like chanman. The video is blocking the review (and I am using firefox as my browser). And about your review, it's very good ^^

thanks for that . Maybe you should use IE instead . I'm using it & I don't seem to have any problem viewing my music blog

Twenty! Twenty! Twenty! is such a catchy song, I really like it *__*

I really like listen to when he says "Twenty! tWENTY! twenty! ..." <3333

Also POP STAR is so cool, i really like the song, is my fav of Ken =O
And Elegy is a powerful song, I attempted to listen it excesively, but I can't, I don't like that much for do it >____<

The album is so cool, I really like, I will buy it as soon as possible, it deserves to be bought, and the charts numbers that it got are not bad =)

View user profile http://aaafreaks.net
minlilin wrote:
thanks for that . Maybe you should use IE instead . I'm using it & I don't seem to have any problem viewing my music blog
Oh, I c. I'll try it ^^

Yuusha wrote:The album is so cool, I really like, I will buy it as soon as possible, it deserves to be bought, and the charts numbers that it got are not bad =)
Totally agree with u!!!

What new songs from this album will probably have a PV? Or no one will have one?

All I want to say is he's definitely still my favourite no.1 after I listened to this new album!
Really the King of solo male singer-songwriter in Asia.

View user profile
^I don't think so, I just think that he is a talented male singer-songwriter from Japan, and considered one of the best, but not the best from the whole Asia.

Now I0m really getting addicted to Utsukushii Hito, and I can sing it really good, it's not hard =D

Yuusha wrote:^I don't think so, I just think that he is a talented male singer-songwriter from Japan, and considered one of the best, but not the best from the whole Asia.

Now I0m really getting addicted to Utsukushii Hito, and I can sing it really good, it's not hard =D

Utsukushii Hito is fantastic . In fact all the B sides from the singles from the album are brillant .

I recommend the B side of POP STAR (Tameiki Kippu) , Bye My Melody (hug) , Elegy (Kiss) .

if you don't know by now , Utsukushii Hito is the B side of Kimi no Suki na Toko

goldfinger wrote:All I want to say is he's definitely still my favourite no.1 after I listened to this new album!

Really the King of solo male singer-songwriter in Asia.

oh yeah you got that right & let's face it , a hot guy like him is hard NOT to resist Very Happy

^^ wow e album lists look fantastic

only dat they left Cry & Smile!! out

View user profile

LNany

Ken Hirai Forum Moderator
Yuusha wrote:What new songs from this album will probably have a PV? Or no one will have one?

You know, seldom Japanese albums are promoted with new PVs... and yeah, i'm aware he did a PV for Sentimental to promote his previous album, but this time he even released a single with 2 PVs just a few weeks before the album so i really doubt we're getting a new PV.

That said, the delay of KH Films 9 to April, and more exactly to the week when "Ano Sora wo Oboeteru" premieres on theaters ("Itsuka Hanareru Hi ga Kite mo" is the theme song for that movie), leads me to believe that Sony could be thinking about making a PV for that song... or at least trying to promote in somehow. But don't count too much on it.

View user profile http://elblogdelny.com/
Thanks for the explaniation, otherwise I'm really satisfied with Kimi wa SU·TE·KI PV, where the KIRAKIRA Band (as you call them, I don't know if it's official) do it so cool with Ken, and the scenary is cool too <333

LNany wrote:
That said, the delay of KH Films 9 to April, and more exactly to the week when "Ano Sora wo Oboeteru" premieres on theaters ("Itsuka Hanareru Hi ga Kite mo" is the theme song for that movie), leads me to believe that Sony could be thinking about making a PV for that song... or at least trying to promote in somehow. But don't count too much on it.

KH film 9??? Do you know whats its going to be on? I hope its PV's + a concert~~!
I love his films, but collecting them all is hard and expensive~!

View user profile
It will be okay with me even if it's just concert DVD. If it's only PV I think I'll pass. Hard to collect the fund for it............T-T

LNany

chanman wrote:KH film 9??? Do you know whats its going to be on? I hope its PV's + a concert~~!
I love his films, but collecting them all is hard and expensive~!

The DVD was described as a PV collection before the delay, so most likely it's gonna be just that. Moreover, according to the online retailers who have it now listed for April 23th the price has not changed (~3000 yens) and all his concerts DVDs are more expensive.

They could decide include at least a few live clips from last summer KH Bar 2007, but yeah, that's highly unlikely...

View user profile http://elblogdelny.com/
U o, that's not a good news for me (lol)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum